Friday, March 17, 2006

What does the book "Clear and Present Danger" and 3/17 Inf have in common?

Before I give the answer I want to give a few clues by telling a story.

1. Anyone besides myself remember when Tom Clancy visited our great Division? Or the static displays that we did for him? Well, I luck out in more then one way. Besides meeting him I got my book "Hunt for Red October" signed by him.

Was that the answer maybe!!!

2. In his acknowledgement section he mentions 2 great soldiers; Bayonet 7 and one I personally served with NINJA 6. Who is none other then LTC Timothy Wray, Bn CDR 3/17 Inf.

Was that the answer Closer!!!

3. Shortly after his visit 3/17 Inf was tasked to allow Tom Clancy to accompany us on a FTX (?Gallant Eagle, 29 Palms). Us troops were told that he was doing research on a future possible novel. Well within the year his book "Clear and Present Danger" was released.

Closer!!!

4. The main character in the book, the sniper on the original team Is based on a SSG in a line platoon of B co 3/17 Inf.

Schools NCO S3 3 Bde (90-93), AT 3/17 Inf (87-90), AT 4/9 In(84-86), Wpns Plt 2/17 In (82-84)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ed, I believe I do remember him going to FHL with y'all. I don't remember anything more than that, but isn't the one scene in the movie where they're conducting the stalking exercise shot at FHL? (if I remember correctly, they were either at replicating Sniper School or validating the snipers' skills.)

Anonymous said...

hi ed. you're talking about ding chavez. Domingo Chavez. the fictional lightfighter scout sniper who becomes an operator with Mr. Clark and eventually marries Clark's daughter. He's in a lot of Clancy's books. The first one he appeared in of course, CAPD. I remember when Clancy was at FHL in 1988 flying around in some small bird. not a kiowa i don't think. looked more like a loach. anyway - the opening movie presentation of the sniper stalk exercise is crap. the book is always a lot better than the movie eh? good post. got any pics of the SSG you mention? did Clancy interview or meet with him or other grunts in 3/17?

Ed Geer said...

Hi Randy.

I agree the book is a lot better then the movie. No, I don't have a picture of the SSG. I'nm sure Clancy did interview him/others in 3/17 Inf. I recall that he spent a few days on the ground with B 3/17.

I know a few of my guys (TOW Plt 3/17) got to meet him during the static display. 3/17 was the div. support bn for that time period and had to puton a show for him.

That's how I got "Hunt for Red October" signed by him.

Anonymous said...

Ed,

He was in fact there. I am a member of "One Bad Combat Team" B Co, "Ninjas" 3-17 Inf. I was a RATELO at the time and Clancy went around talking with us and taking pictures of the many different camouflage patterns on us Lightfighters faces.

SFC Griffis, Hardy B.
B,3-17 Inf from Sep 87-Jan 92
currently serving with 3rd Bde, 3rd ID

Anonymous said...

Biff! Is that really you? Congrats on the E-7. This is CPL Webb, I'd like to catch up sometime so shoot me an email.