For me, my day started around 8 AM and didn't stop until late February. I just got back from PT when my 1SG told me that the Divison was on Alert and I was to take my team and report to the AHA ASAP. I was the OP Center NCOIC (shift 1). I remember that around 1400, we (AHA Crew) felt strongly that 7IDL was going to war. Clues like: DRF-2,3 their AMMO trucks would be processed with their load of ammo; notification of SUBPAC 1, AVPAC 1, Departure out of the AHA was by lifts and not by the entire DRF group,as the shift progressed notification that all DRF units 4-6 smf their SUB and AV PACs would be coming through. By 1500-1600, Division notify us that travis was closed due to weather. CHP was diverted to back to Monterey Airport and all reamining convoys would go to Monterey. That included the Divison's Aviation. They had, C141, C5, etc flying in and out of Monerery. To include Ammo.
H-Hour (11 PM Local time) I had just sat down to catch the news. They were talking about how 7IDL going through an alert and was sending convoys to Travis. Suddenly they announced that the US had just invaded Panama. At which, I turned the TV off, turned to my wife and hugged her deeply. We both knew what it was not if but how soon my unit would be heading to Panama.
3 comments:
Hmmm ... I was working at a steel mill here in Pittsburgh. Being young and dumb .. I had already gotten married and divorced since my ETS in March of '88.
After my brother (C 5-21) came back with his CIB after OJC I joined the USAR and spent 5 years as a 12B. That little bastard (my brother) never lets me forget that he sports the CIB and 7th ID combat patch .. all good though.
Shook Out ...
the warning order and oporder came down on 19DEC but the shizna went down 20DEC. i was shooting before h-hour. H-Hour was planned to be at 0100. 1PLT/C/4/17IN moved to contact and came under fire early - about 0040.
A Co. Knee deep in a creek attempting to get to our assault position. We were still in the creek when the support opened up. To me it seemed like the 2 min prep started a few minutes early. We all turned and charged up the hill.
Post a Comment